Many people say, “don’t sweat the small stuff.” According to Rory Sutherland, Vice Chairman of Ogilvy Group, that is exactly opposite of what you should do. During a TED talk, Sutherland said, “Our own sense of self-aggrandizement feels that big important problems need to have big important, and most of all, expensive solutions attached to them.”1
![]() |
| Rory Sutherland |
Thomas Jefferson, one of the Founding Fathers of the United States, realized many accomplishments during his lifetime. His list includes authoring the Declaration of Independence, being the governor of Virginia and the third President of the United States, founding the University of Virginia and constructing his beloved Monticello. Jefferson spent more than forty years designing and redesigning, building and rebuilding his home and its gardens.2
Architectural features of the home include an alcove bed, open on both sides, with an indoor privy nearby. One important detail Jefferson designed for Monticello is the Great Clock in the Entrance Hall. The clock has a face both in and outside the house. It is a seven-day clock with cannonball-like weights that mark the day of the week as they rise and fall. The gong alerts all household members both inside and out, of the time. “Its design evinces Jefferson’s desire for order, which he exerted in equal but different ways over his family and his slaves. It also reveals his love of innovation and his ability to modify the traditional to suit his needs.3
![]() |
| Thomas Jefferson |
![]() |
| John Wooden |
Wooden’s attention to detail helped lead to his success. One detail that was extremely important to Wooden was character. Wooden was being considered for the head coaching jobs at both UCLA and the University of Minnesota in 1948. After a miscommunication due to snow, Wooden had accepted the UCLA offer, thinking the University of Minnesota had changed its mind. Moments later, Wooden was offered the job at Minnesota but turned it down, having given UCLA his word.6 After retiring from his extremely successful tenure at UCLA, Wooden went on to share his well-known pyramid for success in basketball, but more importantly life. Central to his plan is skill, which includes covering every detail.7
![]() |
| Steve Jobs |
Research and development for new products were kept top secret, but when new products were announced, the hype was incredible. While one of Forbes most powerful people of 201010, Jobs still paid attention to individual customers. Devir Kahan wrote an email to Steve Jobs about his keyboard, and Jobs responded himself saying, “Software fix coming soon. Sorry for the bug.”11 Details also allowed Jobs and Apple to maintain a sense of consistency. He was known for wearing his “uniform,” tennis shoes, a black turtleneck, and faded jeans, to announce exciting news.
While paying attention to details will not automatically land you on Forbes Most Powerful People list, these examples show how being attentive can help lead to success. Rory Sutherland advises, “Although logically it’s quite a good idea to have a lift with no up and down button in it, if it only serves two floors, it’s actually bloody terrifying, okay? Because when the door closes and there’s nothing for you to do, you’ve actually just stepped into a Hammer film.”12
1 Sutherland, Rory. TED. June 2010.
http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/rory_sutherland_sweat_the_small_stuff.html (accessed February 17, 2012)
2 Monticello.org. House & Gardens. February 2003. http://www.monticello.org/site/house-and-gardens (accessed February 2012).
3 Ibid.
4 Wikipedia. Wikipedia. February 14, 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wooden (accessed February 17, 2012).
5 Wooden, John. The Wizard's Wisdom: 'Woodenisms'. June 4, 2010. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5249709 (accessed February 17, 2012).
6 Puma, Mike. Wizard of Westwood.http://espn.go.com/classic/biography/s/Wooden_John.html (accessed February 17, 2012).
7 Wooden, John. The John R. Wooden Course. http://www.woodencourse.com/woodens_wisdom.html (accessed February 17, 2012).
8 Jobs, Steve. Steve Jobs: How to live before you die. June 2005. http://www.ted.com/talks/steve_jobs_how_to_live_before_you_die.html (accessed February 17, 2012).
9 Ibid.
10 Forbes. Most Powerful People 2010. 2010. http://www.forbes.com/lists/2011/20/powerful-people_2010.html (accessed February 16, 2012).
11 Stone, Brad. Ding! Mail. OMG! It's Steve Jobs. March 24, 2010. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/25/technology/25apple.html (accessed February 17, 2012).
12 (Sutherland 2010)
4 Wikipedia. Wikipedia. February 14, 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wooden (accessed February 17, 2012).
5 Wooden, John. The Wizard's Wisdom: 'Woodenisms'. June 4, 2010. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5249709 (accessed February 17, 2012).
6 Puma, Mike. Wizard of Westwood.http://espn.go.com/classic/biography/s/Wooden_John.html (accessed February 17, 2012).
7 Wooden, John. The John R. Wooden Course. http://www.woodencourse.com/woodens_wisdom.html (accessed February 17, 2012).
8 Jobs, Steve. Steve Jobs: How to live before you die. June 2005. http://www.ted.com/talks/steve_jobs_how_to_live_before_you_die.html (accessed February 17, 2012).
9 Ibid.
10 Forbes. Most Powerful People 2010. 2010. http://www.forbes.com/lists/2011/20/powerful-people_2010.html (accessed February 16, 2012).
11 Stone, Brad. Ding! Mail. OMG! It's Steve Jobs. March 24, 2010. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/25/technology/25apple.html (accessed February 17, 2012).
12 (Sutherland 2010)
Images
Rory Sutherland- laurenceschuberth.com
Thomas Jefferson- www.visitingdc.com
John Wooden- www.economicnoise.com
Steve Jobs- edudemic.com




I have to say I'm really confused. You jump from figure to figure with little to nothing tying them together with just a 'details are great' thrown in. Why is it important that Jefferson redid his house a few times? Why Jefferson followed with a basketball coach? I'm still confused on how these four men are actually tied to each other.
ReplyDeletePeople who are detail oriented can see that these four extremely successful figures in history were important because they did pay attention to the small stuff. Fascinating information...I am glad I am able to "put it together."
ReplyDeleteUm I'm not quite sure what this blog is about. The only thing that I can really knit out is the repeated term, "detail." Is this blog about details of the world? Your layout gave me the impression that it was environmental and had to do with saving the trees. But your posts don't really tie together with your layout or your blog overall. It looks nice but the information and topic is almost unclear to me.
ReplyDeleteGreat design! The pictures you chose look great and really help to get your point across. I love it. Nicely done!
ReplyDeleteI also must comment on the design. The layout, background, and pictures and really nice. The first time I read the blog I was a little confused, like the title, but after I re-read some post I understood. I really liked this one. Details are important and after I read it I realized I should try to pay more attention to them. Overall I really like it.
ReplyDelete